Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins

Since returning from our weekend in the cold and cozy mountains, I have definitely been feeling fallish. The display of canned pumpkin at Trader Joe's was also inspiring, but it was really the rain on Monday that sealed the deal. It was high time for some autumnal baked goods. After an exhausting trip to Henry's I found myself stocked up on the necessary ingredients and ready to welcome fall into my kitchen.


(And, yes, he did wear his pajamas and rain boots to the grocery store. And he did, in fact, discover this overpriced bag of marshmallows on the bulk spices aisle and then proceed to carry it around the entire store. And, finally, he did manage to find the display of fresh baked french bread and tear off a hunk then quickly shove it in his mouth. Thankfully, the Henry's employee graciously took the remnants of the loaf to the back of the store while I quickly paid for my groceries and got the heck out of there.)

But, I have to say, it was worth the trouble. They are pretty delicious, especially with a cup of coffee and the sound of rain on my roof.


Here is the recipe, just in case you are also in the mood for a little fall treat.

(If you're not into the whole wheat flour/oat thing, you can find another version of the recipe here)

Pumpkin Muffins
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Equipment: a muffin pan (preferably nonstick) with 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups

Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter muffin pan if not nonstick.

Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool.

5 comments:

  1. Wait, I don't see the marshmellows in that yummy recipe. What does he plan on baking for the fall? Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm.....I stocked up on canned pumpkin myself yesterday! I have a friend coming over today and just might have to try these...thanks!! love your kiddo stories too! enjoy fall! we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rain boots! Tell Zeke and Olive I say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I got my canned pumpkin today! Was looking for a good recipe! I'll use yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiff, you totally inspired me and I went out and found a really good gluten-free pumpkin muffin recipe that I have been enjoying all week! Thanks! Hope you are all well :)

    ReplyDelete