Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Banner Tutorial

Spring Banner
(original instructions found in The Creative Family)

Step 1: Hit up your local fabric shop. (In this case, we took a field trip to Michael Levine in the Garment District downtown. It has a much better selection than Joanns.)

Purchase the following items:
2 yards of fabric (I bought eight 1/4 yard pieces)
6 yards of double sided bias tape
thread to match the tape

Step 2 (technically part of Step 1): Feed busy/hungry/grabby toddler lots of snacks while perusing the aisles for your favorite spring patterns.

Step 3: Cut fabric into triangular pieces. I wanted a front and back to my banner and was able to get 3 triangle sets from each 1/4 yard of fabric. Optional: Trim sides of triangle (not the top) with pinking shears.

Step 4: Lay out fabric with bias tape to determine the pattern that works best with your fabric pieces.

Step 5: Sew triangles together (sides only, not the top) with right sides facing out.

Step 6: With your fabric stacked in the order you determined in Step 4, begin to sew the triangles into the bias tape. I found that I did not need to pin the banner together first. I just slipped each triangle in as I sewed.

Step 7: Feel springy as you sit back and enjoy your new Spring Banner! (This picture does not really do the "springy-ness" justice. It was taken at 9:30 at night, after finally getting my sick little boy to fall asleep.)


Back in January I made a reusable birthday banner for Zeke's birthday. I added "Happy Birthday" to the banner by using a very simple applique technique. I really like how it turned out and am excited to use it for years to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment